Friday, August 7, 2009

My love affair with Zinnias


It all started with 2 bags of seeds and potted soil. The seeds quickly turned into seedlings practically overnight. I have planted something so easy to grow in my life! The problem was, ever single seed was coming up and I had dumped everything into one pot! So I figured I would transplant some into my new garden as I had plenty of space.



At first, it didn't seem that they were going to take. It was hot and all of the seedlings were quite wilted. I kept watering and didn't worry much. I had tons more coming up in my pot! But before I knew it those seedlings took hold and started to grow even faster. In fact, within a month my Zinnias were taller than my Crape Myrtles and Mountain Laurel. Take a look at the before and after!



Some of my Zinnias are taller than I am! In fact, it is hard to tell how tall they would grow because I cut them back all of the time. They make GREAT cut flowers. I have them all over my house! The big question will be -- will they Winter over? If they come back, I will have to move some around. They crowed many areas of my garden. But I will be interested to find out. Meanwhile, I will enjoy placing these beautiful flowers around my home, giving them to neighbors and take photos. I would like to paint some of my photos as well. We will see. Here are some close-ups.











And of course here are two other areas of my garden where I transplanted Zinnias. They seem to grow well any place I plant them. Even when these areas get a little shade from our Bur Oak. 



No comments:

Post a Comment