Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Butterflies

Many of the plants I have in my garden attract butterflies. They seem to like my Zinnias the best. So it should be no surprise to find caterpillars somewhere in the garden. However, it seems that I don't have any of the host plants. But my neighbor does. The Black Swallowtail Butterfly likes parsley apparently. We found two huge caterpillars and brought them inside. Within a day they transformed into a chrysalis. I am disappointed that we may be away on vacation when they emerge as butterflies. Just when my kids were getting excited. I think I will plant my own parsley next year. The picture to the right isn't a Black Swallowtail Butterfly but I have seen many in my garden. This is the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly.

No comments:

Post a Comment