Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Rain and more rain

I don't think my garden knows quite what to do with all of this rain. Yes, there are many of my plants that very excited about all of this moisture. However, there are some of my plants that are suffering. I never thought rain would be a bad thing. But considering the fact that the Summer has been so dry, this is a shock!

My favorite Zinnias are coming to an end. They were already struggling with rusty mildew (my fault for planting them too close together). But they have also gotten very leggy and some are taller than I am. I have sadly pulled out about 6 so far. I also had a wonderful Hibiscus in a pot that turned yellow from all of the rain. I was hoping it would dry out and it was starting to look a little better until the rain returned again yesterday. I have mushrooms popping up everywhere, which can't be good. Also, I have 2 huge fountain grasses that have completely fallen over due to the rain. They were about 6 feet tall. Of course they are now leaning on some of the other plants. I have tried staking them but the weight is just too much. I might have to cut them down if it continues to rain. My Verbena are also suffering with all of this rain. They have powdery mildew. I am planning o pulling them out soon.

There are, luckily, a couple of super-stars in my garden. The Vincas (Periwinkle) are fantastic annuals here in Texas. They do great in the heat and seem to be unfazed by the rain. I have 5 white ones that are just huge! They surround the front of my Bur Oak. I will be sad to see them die in the Winter. Yellow Bells are also wonderful. I only have one and I plan on getting more next year. It looks great all of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment